It is a beautiful March day here in Orlando. These are the sublime days that we Floridians live for. The windows are open and the breeze is rustling the palms out back. The artistic March winds are painting lovely formations on the surface of our little lake. My windchimes resound with music.
Today I tried Niman Ranch Spicy Italian Uncured Sausage. It is made with pork raised without antibiotics or hormones and vegetarian fed. It is also gluten free! This is the second Niman Ranch product I have tried, and it turned out to be excellent. The chilly and windy day created perfect conditions to step outside while you are cooking, and then come back in the house to become enamored with those delicious aromas!!!!
I sauteed peppers and onions to go with the sausage, and then I served it up on a gluten free bun. Unfortunately, I had run out of Gillians french rolls. They are the best out there. I served it a toasted Kinnikinnick hot dog bun, and it was quite tasty. But watch out, because the spicy sausage lives up to its name with a little bit of a kick!
I sit in the living room later and think back. The peppers and onions sautee in a pan. A lovely cool breeze arrives to enhance their aroma. The sausage sizzles. There is the sound of dinner plates being stacked to be brought to the table. People who love you enjoying the fruits of your labor. It is like the entire experience of the meal has given me a warm hug, and that spells “comfort food” to me.
Spicy Gluten Free Sausage, Pepper and Onions
- 1 large onion sliced
- 2 red peppers, cleaned and sliced
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large clove of garlic, finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon dried Italian blend seasoning
- 1/2 jar of your favorite marinated roasted peppers
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 package Niman Ranch Spicy Italian Uncured Sausage
- Brown the sausages per package directions, and set aside; pour off fat
- Place olive oil, onions, pepper, garlic, Italian seasoning, salt and pepper into hot skillet
- Saute together until onions are slightly carmelized and peppers are almost tender
- Add marinated roasted pepper; heat through
- Add sausage to pepper mixture
- Serve on toasted gluten free rolls or buns